Got a scoop or want to join us? Reach out to me via DMs on Twitter or in the Vagobond Discord.
If your email has truncated this briefing – see the entire briefing at https://vagobond.com/
April 14, 2022
GM and Aloha Frens,
I got my second booster shot yesterday for Covid and today – I feel pretty spaced out with big body aches and a massive headache. I guess this is what happens when we inject ourselves with a deadly disease to keep from dying from it. In any event – it’s making it hard for me to concentrate as I put together my favorite post of the week – the Travel NFT edition. I’ve been fortunate to do some amazing travel already this year and I’ve got something even better planned in a couple of months – a trip around the world. I won’t be able to take as much time to do it as I’d like (my last trip around the world took years) – this one will only be about 40 days which seems grossly inadequate – but I’ve limited the destinations I’ll be heading to. I’ll give you guys more details as we get closer.
In addition, this week I launched my own travel NFT collection – my 33 piece photo collection “Where My Vanagon Goes” which entitles each holder of an NFT to book a private tour with me on Oahu in my Vanagon – for free. It was fun putting it together and it’s fun to attach real world utility to an NFT project. I’m sure this is the way forward – especially for Travel and Tourism NFTs. I’m starting to get a pretty good collection of these though the most expensive ones are still way out of my reach (NCL and Travel Tigers) – still, it’s fun to be a part of this segment of our collective space.
Also, I’ve started trying to bring the folks involved in blockchain’s many facets here in Hawaii together with some IRL meetups. We have a small but vibrant community of people who are involved in crypto, NFTs, DAOs, and other blockchain areas here – it’s imperative that we come together and support one another – and hopefully educate our legislators on the positive benefits of this technology for our state. I finally purchased a Fomo Mofo yesterday (today’s cover on Vagobond.com) – this is the most visible and successful project here in Hawaii so far, it was started by Jasper Wong and his friends who – if you’ve ever been to Kaka’ako neighborhood in Honolulu, you’ve seen the results of his work. Hundreds of murals all over buildings – they successfully started an organization called Pow Wow that has started mural painting festivals all over the world- so even if you haven’t been here, it’s likely you’ve seen parts of their work.
Finally, I’m going to be publishing this and our other Morning Briefings as a ReadMe Books NFT – the format works really well for this briefing and it takes me right back to my roots as an anarchist ‘zine publisher. I’ll only be publishing 3 issues of each but everyone can read it for free – if the three start to regularly sell out, I’ll increase the numbers – so these early ones might be worth grabbing.
Oh, my aching head (and body) – ouch.
Travel & Food NFT Projects
Updated Thursdays – See latest at https://vagobond.com/nft-101/the-travel-food-nft-beat-updated-thursdays/
News and Info on Travel NFTs
- Norwegian Cruise Line has launched their NFT collection and auction continues for NFT that grants stateroom on inaugural voyage of new ships
- China’s Sichuan Province launches NFT marketplace
- How Southeast Asia’s NFT ecosystem lifts up local artists (and communities)
- Abu Dhabi Becomes First UAE Government to Create NFTs
Where My Vanagon Goes https://opensea.io/collection/where-my-vanagon-goes– I launched my 33 piece collection earlier this week. I was formerly one of the top rated tour guides on the island of Oahu and each NFT in this collection, allows the owner to book a tour with me in my Vanagon (named 3V or #V Wonder) – terms are that me and Vanagon have to be present and operational – so it’s a little informal but considering that my tours were generally $500-$1300 when I was doing them – there is some serious value in buying one of these for .01 ETH and it is the only way to book a tour with me in Hawaii. Plus – this really is a love letter to both Oahu and Vanagon’s so it’s a pretty cool piece to own.
Each holder of my "Where My Vanagon Goes" #NFTs is entitled to a 3-hour tour on the island of #Oahu, #Hawaii in my Vanagon – a real world utility that far exceeds the purchase cost. Utility exists for as long as I am here and 3V Wonder is still operational and owned by me. #NFT https://t.co/Qls8YBkLuh
— CD | Vagobond.eth (@vagobond) April 11, 2022
Elysium – https://elysiumclub.io/ Twitter: @elysiumclubnft Instragram: @elysiumclubnft Youtube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWCCPh-B5Xy5gmjtMQ8nH3A OS – https://opensea.io/collection/elysiumclubnft
- Can this possibly work? I don’t know. The mint was expensive at .4 and the floor has dropped to about .31. There was a bump in volume this week an d currently 700 owners of 1400 NFTs, so the distribution is pretty good. I did get the Priority Pass and the apartment rentals have been opened up for the month.
- 8 apartments in various cities around the world – but users can book them for free (2 nights per NFT)
- I think they are working hard to make this happen – but it does have a lot of the feel of ‘If it feels too good to be true, it probably is’ so buyer beware.
The Zo World – Zo.xyz This one is hard to get my head around, seems to aspire to be part Couchsurfing and part travel desk. I’d like one of these, but spending $200+ on it when it’s stalled like this isn’t my jam. From the makers of @ZostelHostel the largest backpacking hostel chain
- Currently minting at 410 mints out of 10001 at a mint price of .08 ETH. Only one has sold on secondary and that at .06. They are minting but it’s a slow roll
- I bought one of the floor founders pieces this week. The community is really engaged, the Discord is fun, and I’m happy I was able to get in below the mint price (funny note, my purchase was the only one under 5 ETH, so the floor jumped from .08 to 5 ETH instantly). The 5 ETH one is the only one listed but you can still mint at .08. Seriously diamond hand community here.
SuperLocal – https://pass.superlocal.com/ NFT gated travel app where users can mint locations as NFTs. SuperLocal is available in App Stores now. I highly recommend it. Also – when you download it follow me – Username: CD Vagobond. First $LOCAL airdrop is coming soon.
- Local Trotter NFTs are still available to mint and art is revealed now https://hello.superlocal.com/
- Mayorship NFTs are mintable.
- This is a real company with a real product and a huge and growing community. This is my strongest conviction bet in the travel NFT world.
Photos from around the world on Superlocal 4/13/2022: Castillo de Gibralfaro in Malaga Spain, Shibuya Scramble Crossing in Tokyo, Legacy Club in Las Vegas, and looking up at the Tokyo Tower! pic.twitter.com/rN2GFC4hHS
— Superlocal ☻ (@joinsuperlocal) April 13, 2022
Travel Toucans – https://www.traveltoucans.com/ These guys do a weekly Twitter Space focused on travel NFTs on Wednesdays – worth checking out linktr.ee/TravelToucans Travel Toucans is turning into a really useful travel community of people who help each other out with information and suggestions.
- The first 200 Travel Toucans are almost ready to reveal – just five away now. There is no volume here on the secondary and unfortunately, no one is minting. A catalyst is needed to get this one going.
Nomadz – https://twitter.com/Nomadz_NFT I won a whitelist for this project through Travel Toucans, I’m not sure I’ll use it. Friendly engaged Discord community but I’m not even really sure what they are trying to do. No website and no real laid out agenda or goals.
- Nomadz is a collection of 10 000 neo-adventurers. Owning a Nomadz NFT gives you access to a lost map with outdoor challenges. Those that prove worthy will be lead to a secret treasure! Seasonal Adventures are a set of 5 geographically-neutral seasonal adventures leading-up to rare treasure NFT artwork from selected travel photographers! Access to our 5-day Nomad Labs festival (travel documentary film festival, music festival, NFT travel photography exhibitions, workshops and lectures) Access to funding for adventures and creative travel-related projects. Access to live workshops led by some of the biggest names in the NFT photography landscape. Hidden goodies…
Holidao – holidao.io
- Describes itself as “The next evolution in IRL NFT Utility” Island Resort Membership. Fiji Based.
Aloha NFT – https://alohanft.com/ – This is a physical card that is shipped to you after purchase and then yredeemed for the physical for NFT. I’People in the Discord have gotten theirs and the vibes are all positive so far.
- I received my physical card and used the QR code on the back to claim my NFT. I was a little disappointed that it’s in a proprietary blockchain wallet, but there does seem to be a way to export it to ETH/Polygon main net – though I haven’t done that yet.
- Not much happening here. Discord is low energy but positive.
CABIN – https://www.creatorcabins.com This is one of the coolest projects I’ve recently come across. “Our vision is to build a decentralized city for creators.Cabin is an experiment in the future of cities: decentralized physical nodes tied together by a shared culture, economy, and governance structure.”
Travala Travel Tigers – Minting now for WhiteList https://www.travala.com/nft – these guys are the OGs of paying for travel with crypto. Their initial foray into NFTs is expensive and will probably sell out before reaching the public sale – but offers some amazing benefits.
- 1000 tokens sold (773 owners) with a floor now at 3.9 (2.99 two weeks ago) The benefits are pretty astounding – but still not sure if worth the cost.
- Announcement after a month says they are working hard, be patient
- Absolutely nothing happening here – but the mods are deleting any shills or links that show up. One of the things I do when I think a project may have been rugged or is dying is post my shills in the main channel and see how long before they get deleted – it was 12 hours on this one, so somebody is checking in. If my shills don’t get deleted, then I know that a project is dead and the creators don’t care about it.
Travel Tokens by Drew Binsky – https://traveltokensnft.com
- No new updates
- Drew is in Iran and launch has been delayed.
- Drew finally posted in his Discord apologizing to the community and saying an explanation would be coming soon.
NFTstayy – NftStayy.com
- “First and only travel agency serves on Web3 and metaverse . Only travel agency accummulate income for own NFT collectors.”
PNFT – Cayman’s Paradise NFT Club – https://nftcayman.com/ This is a new and novel approach to using NFTs to get discounts and invigorate travel in the Cayman Islands.
- 3.2 k minted by 116 owners with a. floor of .06 and a volume of .24 ETH total – no change.
- 434 minted by 235 owners. Floor at .15 now from .35 ETH a few weeks ago.
- Minting is closed.
- Founders announced first leases are signed
The Residence DAO – http://www.theresidencedao.com/ The Residence DAO is reshaping the way people experience the world by building a portfolio of properties that NFT holders can access
- The website says minting is live, but aside from that, I can’t tell much more. Twitter has gone dormant. No OpenSea assets that I can find. Ah…from the Discord:
“Thank you again to everyone who has supported us so far. For those of you who have missed prior announcements, we have decided to refund existing holders, improve the project and relaunch in the near future. Shortly after this announcement, holders will be refunded the FULL mint price (.305 for Miami; 1.25 for Global)! Holders will not need to take any additional measures on their end; we took a snapshot of existing holders a short while ago. Moving forward, do not purchase any TRD NFTs on OpenSea. Metadata will be wiped from existing NFTs.”
NFT Booking – https://book.nftbooking.eu/ Book all of your travel with $BOOK – Aspires to be the AirBnB of NFT/crypto travel
- No updates recently, no announcements
Lynkey – Luxury Resorts and Travel powered by Blockchain and NFTs. https://lynkey.com/
- This feels more like a crypto travel desk with an NFT project tacked on.
Wanderlust Finance – https://wanderlust.finance/
- I love all the roadmap stuff here, but this seems to be a token that is promising a bunch of really cool stuff but that so far has dead links to the App Store, dead links to the minter, etc. I really want this to be what they are promising – but so far, it’s a roadmap and a token.
- Wanderlust is a Tech company developing an all in one blockchain companion application that allows users to pay for travel accommodations and experiences through a native decentralized Asset.
Travel Photography Collections
This section will grow over time
Where My Vans Go https://opensea.io/collection/where-my-vans-go
Where My Vanagon Goes https://opensea.io/collection/where-my-vanagon-goes
Beautiful Cities of the World https://opensea.io/collection/beautiful-cities-trey-ratcliff
Food & Beverage NFTs:
This is such a huge category it really should be a separate beat. I’ll work on that.
Rare Pizzas / Pizza Dao – http://rarepizzas.com
- It all started with Laszlo, 10k Bitcoin, and two pizzas. Now, 11 years later, pizzaDAO is throwing a global pizza party in his honor.
- On Bitcoin Pizza Day in 2021, we spent over $300,000 at more than 300 pizzerias in over 60 countries to throw the World Largest Pizza Party Ever.
- Our mission: Pizza, the formation of Spaceship Earth’s largest pizzaiolo community, the digitization of all the world’s pizza knowledge, and the creation of the open source francheese Open Pizza!
Bored Breakfast Club – Coffee delivered by virtue of owning this NFT. No shipping costs. Great coffee. https://www.boredbreakfastclub.com/
- Second coffee sent.
- Third coffee claim fully funded by community (secondary sales, etc)
- Blend Two reserve sale is live at https://www.boredbreakfastclub.com/product/greasy-spoon
Maison Moon – https://maisonmoon.io/ Maison Moon is a collection of 10,000 uniquely generated premium whisky bottles that will age on the blockchain before reaching your home. As a token holder, you will be able to claim your physical bottle once the final finishing period is over. Your token will also double as a Maison Moon membership that will give you access to fine spirits private sales, exciting air drops and more..
TV Foodmaps – http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/ Can TV Foodmaps translate a successful website into a successful NFT?
Flyfish Club –https://www.flyfishclub.com Gary Vee and Partners NFT club sushi restaurant in NYC
Floor for these is around 3.65 Eth with 1.3k owners (down from 5 ETH )
- Flyfish Club (FFC) is the world’s first member’s only private dining club where membership is purchased on the blockchain as a Non-Fungible-Token (NFT) and owned by the token-holder to gain access to our restaurant and various culinary, cultural and social experiences.
Delectibles by FoodMasku – One man’s quest to make masks from the food he eats
Vagobond’s Recent NFT Acquisitions
I’m not minting anything these days unless it’s either free and gasless or an essential part of a collection I already hold. I feel like pfps and generative 10k collections have come as far as they can and now it’s the established winners in this space that will give us something new. Possibly like what BAYC is doing with $APE or BYO is doing with their universe. I don’t know – but I’m watching for it and looking for opportunities to either take profits or increase my stake in projects that I think might bring about the next wave of innovation. At this point, it’s safe to assume that every new project is either a rug or a future failure. There are just too many unknowns and too many scams. Blue chip projects and solid teams are the safest bet – but even something like BAYC has an uncertain future in a space that has only developed over the past year.
- The Faceless Man (won in drawing) NFT Movie by James Di Martino https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/63642544200145472289150140717134031198583756393866289759080289358839405346916
- Edition #2: This one! https://opensea.io/assets/matic/0x931204fb8cea7f7068995dce924f0d76d571df99/54
- Fomo Mofo – I’ve wanted one of these for a long time, the floor reached a point where I could get one I liked. Love the project and love supporting the most successful NFT project here in Hawaii. https://opensea.io/assets/0x818a19a6d3f0859b68e8490a6e945a51060caad1/6150
- Crusties – this was a free mint for Genetic Chain Spiral Holders – public mint opens later today https://opensea.io/assets/0x1231c9dab79dc31b192f218636457a71f85d5153/1659
- Rare Pizza’s Box – this is another one I wanted and was waiting on a reasonable floor for. The box enabled me to bake a Rare Pizza – but that is still in the oven at the moment https://opensea.io/assets/0x4ae57798aef4af99ed03818f83d2d8aca89952c7/1323
- Free Drop for WVRPS holders – love it. https://opensea.io/assets/matic/0xe99fb945fa3a5f8f2cd6c187344abbfbe09a6ebb/3
- CryptoFarm – This was a free drop by James Di Martino of his crypto version of Animal Farm – but unfortunately, the bots found his stealth drop so I had to buy one on the secondary. I would have been willing to purchase one directly but unfortunately, the drop mechanics allowed the bots to make a profit here – I only paid .02 ETH for it but it was meant to be a free drop – I just hate that the bot flippers got my money and not Captain James or Nova Dao. https://opensea.io/assets/0x2781b28934943f51a8a08375d6f95e0208d7150e/147
As you can see, I actually did buy a couple of things on the secondary yesterday – all three from communities or creators that I’m already a part of and wanted to support. I’m happy that I was able to get the two big ones at the price I wanted. Essentially, I sold two of my free Mint Pass 2 from Pixel Vault to pick up my Fomo Mofo and my Rare Pizza.
News & Alpha
* ALPHA * – The Vagobond Discord is one of the best free alpha servers around. You might see it in this briefing, but you’ll definitely see it in the Alpha channel of our discord first.
- I’m going to continue publishing this briefing as an NFT through ReadMe books. This is highly experimental and I will only be creating 3 copies of each unless they begin to sell out on a regular basis. Here is the first one and todays: https://opensea.io/assets/matic/0x931204fb8cea7f7068995dce924f0d76d571df99/53
- First Ever Catholic (official) NFT to be released by Archdiocese of Malaysia
- Adidas releases something but I’m not sure what the hell it even is https://ozworld.adidas.com/
- VeeFriends v2 was delayed again yesterday – Gary V said probably today – this feels suspiciously just like the VeeFriends 1 drop. Everything You Need to Know about VeeFriends and Upcoming VeeFriends2
- At least he gave us a game to play while we wait: https://opensea.io/assets/0x9378368ba6b85c1fba5b131b530f5f5bedf21a18/1
- Gutter Cat Gang Clones Species 2 Reval(Rat) today
- Tom Bileyu’s Impact Theory is doing a generative avatar project Kyzen
- Here’s some **Serious Alpha** for you. I’m going to be tokenizing and distributing my startup corporation to holders of Bald Jesus and Vagobond NFTs. Iwahai, Inc. is a Delaware C Corporation and the owner of VoiceMarkr which can be found in the the Apple and Android app stores. VoiceMarkr is a voice centered social media and communications platform which will be owned and developed further by the community – so if you want to be a part of it – you should join the Vagobond Discord ASAP.
The First NFT/Metaverse Religion- Bald Jesusism
There are no formal or regular holidays in Bald Jesusism for the month of April beyond the full moon and this year, fasting for Ramadan along with our Muslim frens. The full details of the fast can be found in the Holy Bjble – but essentially it is this – during daylight hours you don’t eat or drink anything – not even water. At night, you can feast and have a blast. Meditate on happiness. Gather with friends and enjoy the feeling of light deprivation – and then consider those who don’t get to make a choice in the matter!
The Full Moon Holiday this month is very special. Not only is it occurring during the month of Ramadan, but it is also a Pink Moon and the Paschal Full Moon aka the first full moon of Spring! April 16th is the day to celebrate this. Take the day off from drudgery and work, get outside, enjoy life with the people you love! The week following the Pascal Full Moon is a special holiday for our Christian Frens – Easter! Now, don’t get confused between Bald Jesus and the Christian Jesus – not the same dude but just like we love the Ramadan fast in BJism, we also love the idea of renewal, rebirth, and saving the entire world – so make sure you celebrate with some chocolate and a few colorful rabbit eggs!
The holidays of Bald Jesusism are meant to be fun and healthy for you and your fam. Enjoy them!
https://www.baldjesusdrinkingclub.com – Minting Now!- for Bald Jesus Drinking Club
.04 ETH limited to 777 total
Holy Bjble – AB version – Readable on OS! Only .001 ETH on Polygon so no gas
Bald Jesus is Your Bro! Don’t Be a Dick
I periodically move all of this to the NFT 101 page on Vagobond.com https://vagobond.com/nft-101/
Watchlist for upcoming projects:
Yuga Labs BAYC Land drop
10KTF $NTD drop & BYO $TRYP drop
Gutter Juice ‘Clone’ reveals
Art Heads – I won a free mint of this project, so I’m watching for the mint.
Evmos Punks – The failure of the Evmos Chain the first go around is not promising – but since they learn as they go – this is still a great project to be watching for iteration and innovation.
Great Projects I’m Not In or Following:
aka projects I missed and am salty about. There are too many – see the whole list at:
Missed in April: Murakami Flowers, Seeds, whatever
Tokens & Staking
These are the tokens and crypto/defi projects that NFTs have led me to. Bizarre when you think about it. See the full list at here
These are projects that I wanted to believe in that simply seem like they are dead. I bought into many of these instead of the winning projects above. Take that as a warning. I sincerely hope that they resurrect – but when I put them here, it means that I’ve stopped believing and looking. I hope to someday have a section at the top called ‘Resurrections’ for when projects in the Graveyard manage to rise up again. As time goes on, I have no doubt this will be the biggest section of this newsletter and I will let it keep growing so that those who care to look can understand that the majority of projects fail and investors lose money. Pick wisely, my friends, and good luck!
Newly Buried: These aren’t dead projects but projects I’ve lost hope in exiting profitably. I’m not selling any of these but am tired of watching them fail to deliver. I hope they all resurrect and prove me wrong.
See the huge full list at https://vagobond.com/nft-101/nft-project-graveyard/
Features – Just click on the image to read the latest!